- On January 21, 2019
We are delighted to announce that Gareth McCorkill has joined REDS Group to lead our Response and Environmental services. Gareth has over 15 years’ experience in the oil spill response industry and has extensive knowledge of marine, shoreline and land emergency response operations.
Gareth has an unparalleled depth of expertise in the industry, having managed, co-ordinated or overseen over numerous international major spill response projects.
Prior to joining REDS, Gareth was Technical Manager at NRC where he provided strong technical and operational support to NRC’s international business units, focusing on oil spill response, emergency response, HSEQ and HAZMAT. Prior to NRC, Gareth also held positions at Lundin Petroleum (Russia) and Oil Spill Response Ltd, starting his working life as a navigational officer in the Royal Fleet Auxillary.
Notable recent spills include:
- Tanker Agia Zoni II – Salamina Island/Piraeus, Greece 2017 – IFO spill from a sunken tanker off the coast of Athens smothering nearby shorelines of islands and mainland.
- Cargo vessel Cabrera – Andros Island, Greece 2016 – IFO spill from a sunken tanker of the coast of Island of Andros, smothering nearby shorelines.
- Oil fields, Kurdistan Region, N. Iraq 2016 – mixed fuel release from tanker rollover in the Kurdistan mountains
- Abu Dhabi shoreline 2015 – Unknown weathered oil stranded on 3km of sandy shore in Abu Dhabi
Notable Consultancy and exercises:
- European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) – Equipment Assistance Services (North Sea) Providing technical lead for all equipment maintenance and deployment methodologies.
- Shell Mexico – tier 1 and 2 response equipment – Providing in-depth technical knowledge of single ship recovery systems
- Shell UK – Two year exercise. Logistics & operational guidance.
- Instructor for EMSA deployed equipment for the Norwegian Coastguards annual Oil Spill Response Exercise – SCOPE
- Project manager for Ophir Thailand OSR equipment and training
In his role at REDS, Gareth will develop our fast-growing Response and Environmental services, managing key nationwide contracts and working with clients across all industries.
Commenting on his appointment, Lloyd Burnard, REDS’ Managing Director, said: “I am delighted Gareth has joined the team. With his level of knowledge and expertise, I am confident he will provide strong leadership and account management for our Response and Environmental services, and his fresh approach will be a welcome contribution to the team.